Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hello! My name is Caroline, and this blog is about my journey through the application process for nursing school, and (hopefully) throughout nursing school, as well!

I'm currently a senior completing my undergraduate degree. I am applying to seven nursing schools, and six out of the seven are direct entry masters in nursing programs. You may be wondering, what exactly does that mean and how is it different from a normal nursing program? Well, it basically means that when I graduate from one of these programs, I will have my BSN (bachelors in nursing), so I can practice as an RN (registered nurse). I will also have my MSN (masters in nursing), which means I can practice as an NP (nurse practitioner). What makes these programs different from normal nursing programs is:

1. You must already have a bachelor's degree in something other than nursing
2. You can get your BSN faster than if you had done a regular two year program (typically 16 months, as opposed to 24)
3. You typically don't have to take time off to work as an RN during these programs - instead, you work as an RN while you are in the masters portion and studying to become an NP
4. There's also only one application you have to fill out, and if you are granted admission to one of these programs, you're guaranteed to get both degrees!

These programs are pretty cool, especially if you already know you want to work as a nurse practitioner and what specialty you want to work in. I want to work in pediatric critical/acute care, as I feel that it is my calling after spending a significant amount of time volunteering in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). Next semester, I will be doing a full time, 40 hour a week internship in the PICU as well! I'm really looking forward to it. This internship is a requirement for graduating with my undergraduate bachelor's degree (health education and behavior).

The schools I am applying to that are direct entry masters in nursing programs are University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University, Northeastern University, Marquette University, University of South Alabama, and New York University. I am applying to one regular accelerated BSN program, which is actually Duke University's nursing program. This means that I would only graduate with my BSN degree, so I would only be able to practice as an RN. However, Duke has the option of continuing on to the MSN program after graduation, and working part time while studying to become an NP - it's just not built into the program. So it's almost the same thing as the other programs!

I have already received an interview for Johns Hopkins, and it was last week. I felt that it went well, but now it's completely out of my hands and I must nervously await the admissions decision! I have no idea when I will be hearing back, but I do hope it is sooner rather than later.

This week, I'm supposed to hear back from University of Pennsylvania regarding whether the faculty has decided to invite me for an interview, or not. I'm so nervous and anxious, but I know that it is out of my control and that God has the perfect future planned out for me!

Anyways, that's the story of my blog in a nutshell. I'm excited for this crazy ride, and I can't wait to see where life takes me!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caroline,

    I'm curious as to how your career ended up? Where did you go to school? Was it online? How long did it take? I am looking for direct entry MSN programs in my area or online and they are impossible to find, there are great programs but at the hardest schools to get into! Or they require GREs and I took those about 10 years ago!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete